Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grapefruit Pound Cake

During the winter there is a ton of really good citrus available. I love citrus and having some when it it freezing out is like being transported to summer. So the other day I was flipping through a Cooking Light and saw a recipe for Grapefruit Pound Cake and I had to try it. Plus my fiance was very insistent that I made it right away.
  • Here is the recipe:
  • Ingredients
  • 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 5/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
  • large eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons grated grapefruit rind
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
  • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°.



2. Coat a 10-inch tube pan with baking spray. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well. Place granulated sugar, butter, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in oil, rind, and vanilla.




3. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to batter, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon batter into pan; bake at 325° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert cake. Cool on rack.




4. Place juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 4 minutes). Cool slightly. Stir in powdered sugar and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over cake.


  1. Side Notes: Two tablespoons is a lot of grape fruits rind. I zested two large grapefruits and got about 1 tablespoon; so I added about a tablespoon of grapefruit juice in enhance the grapefruit flavor (because I was tried of zesting.) Also I used apple sauce in place of the oil and skim milk over the 2%. I made the Cooking Light recipe even lighter.  These changes did not seem to change the cake but I found that it was done in a hour not a hour and 10 minutes. I am not sure if the changes I made were the cause of this or it just was how it worked out for me. Also I added a tablespoon of butter to the glaze to finish it off.
Wish List: As I was tirelessly trying to get 2 tablespoons of grapefruits zest on my four-sided grater, I decided I needed to make a wish list of culinary tools that I need in my life. The first item on this list is a microplane! This tool would make my zesting so much easier.


Hope you enjoy your cake!

1 comment: