Wednesday, March 21, 2012

From Hangovers to Leftovers: Dealing with what St. Patty's leaves behind (Part Two)

Now that it has been a few days since St. Patrick's day and for your sake I hope everyone is feeling back to normal. But you may still have some leftovers from the festivities. I have a ton of leftover Irish Soda Bread even though I have been grabbing a piece every time I go by the bag.
I decided since the bread is starting to get dry, the best solution is to whip up some bread pudding. I came up with this recipe on my own-it just spoke to me. The soda bread is perfect for bread pudding. It is a sturdy and will hold its shape in the custard but it has some nice flavor profiles that will shine through.


So here is my recipe for My Irish Soda Bread Pudding:
  • 1/2 of a loaf of few day old Irish Soda Bread (cubed)- Here is the Irish Soda Bread Recipe I used
  • 2 cups of buttermilk (which  used up the leftover buttermilk from making the bread in the first place- this can easily be replaced with milk or cream)
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • a few dashes of nutmeg
Set the oven at 350 degrees.  Place the cubed bread in a greased 8x8 baking dish. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and then pour evening over the bread. Then bake for 45 to 55 minutes; until the custard has settled and the top is golden brown.








I decided to top the bread pudding with a little hair of the dog and added a rum glaze. To make the glaze melt 3 tablespoons of butter, a generous splash of spiced rum and about a cup of powdered sugar. Then apply glaze while the pudding is still warm.





This was a simple recipe and a wonderful way to use up left over Irish Soda Bread. I think this recipe is perfect as dessert or brunch. Hope you enjoy this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment