Saturday, March 24, 2012

Happy Saturday with Almond Cheese Danishes

Saying "Good Morning" can be a challenge sometimes. But when this cheese danish on your plate it will be a whole lot easier. This idea came about because I was going through cupboards and  realized that had some leftover puff pastry and a can of almond paste. So I thought why not put them both to good use? 
 I kind of came up with this recipe on my own out of basic baking knowledge but I real think you could really play with this recipe to make what you would like. I choose almond because it it truly my favorite.
Here is the recipe:
Almond Cheese Danishes

1/2 can of almond paste
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 8 oz Cheese Cheese softened (or I use the 1/3 less fat stuff)
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest

Take the sheet of puff pastry and cut into nine squares. The whip together the cream cheese, egg, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. You can place a thin layer of almond paste on each of the squares of puff pastry and then spoon the cream cheese mixture over the almond paste. Once you have done this and fold two corners over lapping the cream cheese mixture. Then bake the danishes in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

This is what the danishes will look before you but then in the oven.



These danishes can really be made with anything. The almond paste can easily be replaced by lemon curd or raspberry jam or anything that floats your boat. You could also make a quick icing with some milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar to add something extra to these danishes and then sprinkle with slivered almonds. The wonderful thing about a danish is that there are so many possibilities.





This is what the danishes look like when they come out of the oven. These danishes are very delicious and helped to coax my fiance out of bed this morning. I would suggest making these for a special breakfast, a brunch or even as something quick to grab on the way out of the door to work. I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know how your danishes worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment