Monday, December 19, 2011

Maple-Nut Popcorn-need I say more?

For some reason popcorn has been associated with Christmas-whether it comes in the ball variety (which is one of those things that just sound better than they really are) or a giant tin of caramel and cheese popcorn with a festive motif that was peddled by some boy scout. So needless to say I am not usually the biggest fan of this popcorn trend!
 However during my Thanksgiving adventure I discovered a new variety of popcorn from my grandparents. My grandparents are dairy farmers but they also make maple syrup and delicious  maple treats. For the recent "Buy Local" day they created Maple Caramel Popcorn & Nuts to sell at a local creperie and I instantly thought that this would make an excellent Christmas treat!

Maple Caramel Popcorn & Nuts
6 cups popped corn ( we use air popped corn)
1 cup roasted salted peanuts 
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. butter
 
Place popcorn in a large buttered pan.  Add nuts and toss.  Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
In a heavy-bottom pan bring syrup, sugar and vinegar to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.  Cook, without stirring, washing any crystals down sides of pan with a brush dipped in cold water until a bit of syrup dropped into cold water forms a long thread. (240^ on a candy thermometer)  We found this to be a bit too high temperature to get caramel to mix and coat popcorn before it gets too hard .  Stir in butter until melted.
 
Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and mix gently.  Bake for 1 hour.  Cool and break apart into chunks.


Side Note: I found that after I took the popcorn out of the oven a let it cool for a few minutes and  I needed to stir up the popcorn to re-coat the popcorn because a lot of the maple had gone to the bottom of the pan. After that I let the popcorn cool completely.


I hope you guys enjoy this recipe- it is provided by my  grandmother (Grace Hargrave). Thanks Grandma!
And if you are in St. Lawrence County, NY -go visit Brandy View Farm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment