Sunday, December 4, 2011

My mom's gingerbread cookies!

 It is officially December and all of my graduate school applications are sent and done. They are now out in the universe and I have no control over the results so I think I must turn my attention to holiday baking. Earlier when I dissed the Betty Crocker gingerbread cookie and I promised to give you my beloved recipe. 
Well here it is:
GINGERBREAD MEN 

1 cup shortening                                   1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt                                    1 egg
2 Tablespoons vinegar                         5 cups flour, sifted
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda                 1 Tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon                           1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup molasses

Cream together shortening, sugar, and salt.
Add egg, molasses, and vinegar and beat well.
Sift dry ingredients together and then stir into dough.
Chill 3 hours.
Roll 1/8” thick and cut in your favorite shapes.
Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.  Cool slightly and remove to cookie rack.
Ice cookies when cool.

It turns out that this is the Better Homes and Gardens recipe. I just love it. It is such a strong spiced taste; the ginger really shines through. They are great as cookies but my family loves to cook them a bit longer and use them as crackers with brie. This combination may sound a bit strange but trust me and try this for your next holiday party-you will need puff pastry, a brie wheel, a favorite jam and some gingerbread cookies. So take your brie and cut it in half. Place the jam in between the two circles ( you could also use apples and walnuts if desired but I love using raspberry jam) and then seal the inside of the puff pastry. Bake until golden brown and puffed. Then enjoy on gingerbread cookies.

Let me know what you think about this recipe compared to the Betty Crocker recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment